Siopao is a steamed bun with variety of fillings. It could be either Siopao Asado or Siopao bola-bola. Siopao fillings can also be some sort of pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, eggs, and possibly chopped scallions and water chestnuts as well.
* 4 tbs sugar
* 1/2 cup warm milk
* 1/3 cup warm water
* 2 tsp active dry yeast
* about 2 1/2 cups flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
Siopao Chicken Filling:
* 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
* 2 tbs vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup minced green onions
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 1/2 cup water
* 4 tsp hoisin sauce
* 4 tsp oyster sauce
* 1 tbs sugar
* 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
* 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
How To Make Siopao:
1. Dissolve 2 tbs sugar in milk and water. Sprinkle the yeast and let stand in warm place until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
2. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 cups flour and salt. Add more flour as needed until dough is no longer sticky.
3. Place dough on a lightly floured work space and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 – 8 minutes). Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
4. Prepare filling. Heat oil in wok or pan. Add green onions and garlic, frying for 1 minute. Stir in water, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Add cornstarch solution, boil, stirring until thick. Add chicken. Cool.
5. Prepare dough. Punch down dough then roll into a cylinder. Cut into 12 equal pieces, rolling each piece into a ball. Cover.
6. Flatten each ball and roll into a circle about 4 – 6 inches in diameter. Place 1 heaping tbs of filling in the center. Gather edges of circle over the filling; twist and pinch edges together to seal.
7. Place buns seam side down 2 inches apart in a baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until puffy and light. Brush tops with egg yolk.
8. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake buns until golden brown.