Siomai, is a dimsum of Chinese origin. Siomai is now a part of Filipino foods and recipes culture. It is often seen sold at the streets, restaurants and fast food chains.
This siomai recipe can take up to more or less, 50 minutes including the preparation and cooking.
Pork Siomai Ingredients:
* 1 kg ground pork (suggested proportion of fat to lean meat is 1:3)
* 1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts or turnips (singkamas)
* 1/3 cup chopped carrots
* 2 medium or 1 large minced onion(s)
* bunch of spring onions or leeks
* 1 egg
* 5 tablespoons sesame oil
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 50 pcs. large or 100 pcs. small wanton or siomai wrapper
* soy sauce, calamansi (lemon or kumquats), sesame oil and chilli paste (for the sauce)
* 1/4 cup water
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon vegetable or corn oil
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Siomai Sauce - Chilli Paste:
* 1/8 kilo Chillies (Siling Labuyo)
* 3 tablespoons cooking oil
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
How To Make Siomai Wrapper:
1). Beat egg and mix with flour till free of lumps.
2). Bring water, cooking oil and salt to a boil, then pour in flour.
3). Remove from heat and beat until mixture forms a ball.
4). Divide the dough into 1 1/4 -inch balls.
5). Roll each ball on a floured board until paper thin. Set aside.
How To Make / Cook Siomai:
1). Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl.
2). Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each wrapper. Fold and seal.
3). Meanwhile, boil water and brush steamer with oil.
4). When the water gets to a rolling boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let stand for 15-20 minutes, longer for larger pieces.
After steaming for 20 minutes, you may now serve your siomai. It is perfect with soy sauce, calamansi and sesame oil. The chilli paste is optional.
How To Make Chilli Paste:
Combine chopped chillies and minced garlic then simmer for around 20 minutes or till most of the water has evaporated. Add oil, simmer and stir well.
Now you can eat and enjoy your siomai; the Pinoy style.
Siomai Image Credits: ecstaticmothering.wordpress.com