Pata Tim (Patatim) Ingredients:
* 1 whole Pork hind (back) leg including the upper meaty part..
* 1 pc. sangke (Star anise)
* ½ cup dark soy sauce
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 tsp sesame oil
* 2 tsp corn starch dissolved in ½ cup of water
* 1 pc Chinese cabbage (medium)
* 1 pc. large carrot
Optional Ingredients ( for look and taste enhancement):
* 4 tbsp. Hoysin sauce
* 2 cups Root beer
* 6 to 8 pcs Shitake medium mushrooms soaked on hot water for 30 minutes then drained.
Hot To Make Pata Tim:
1). Boil the pork pata for about 45 mins in salted water. Drain and let it cool.
2) . Deep fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. Let it cool
3). Place the fried pata in a casserole. Add about six (6) cups of water and the two (2) cups of root beer (optional ingredient).
4). Add the star anise, hoisin sauce (optional ingredient), soy sauce and brown sugar.
5). Place in high fire until it boils then reduce the fire to low and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the pata is very tender (almost falling off the bone). Remember to add the carrots and shitake mushrooms (optional ingredient) after 30 minutes of simmering.
6). Make sure to check the water level every 15 minutes. Ideally the level of the sauce should be 1/4th of the casserole when done. Add the cornstarch and water mixture. Simmer until the sauce thickens.
7). Add the Chinese cabbage and simmer until it is tender. Add the sesame oil.
8). In a serving dish, place the pata in the center. Place the vegetables on the side.Pour enough sauce on the pata. Serve hot.
Image: Some rights reserved by mooglet