The barquillos (wafer rolls) is a Filipino delicacy. It is great as a snack or simple dessert. Remember to spread the batter thinly to create crispy barquillos. Tip: These barquillos make a great substitute for normal ice cream cones!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Add the egg whites one at a time, allowing each to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next. Mix in the flour until just incorporated.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of the dough onto ungreased baking sheets. Spread thinly with a spatula or the back of the spoon into a 3 inch circle.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned along the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the baked wafers from the baking sheet one at a time using a spatula or kitchen turner.
- Roll each wafer around the handle of a wooden spoon until the edges overlap. Cool seam-side down on a wire rack until completely crisp.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter