I know that it is not yet Halloween but I have something scary for everyone. That is right, since I know that most Filipinos love to drink alcoholic drinks this kind of season, I prepared something that might help them practice the law of moderation in terms of drinking and picking the right Filipino style “pulutan” or chaser for them.
I am pretty sure that everyone is aware about the dangerous effects of cholesterol rich foods and this, dear reader is the “scary thing” that I am talking about. What I have for you are 5 deliciously made Filipino recipe for “pulutan”, that I guess, pose greatest danger to our health as they have overwhelming cholesterol content.
1. Fried Crispy Chicken Skin – I never knew that a Filipino food this like this existed till I found it listed in the menu book of restaurant in the province. At first, I thought that this was nothing special but when I got to see its inviting ,crispy and golden brown appearance , I couldn’t help but think of eating the whole serving and ordering another one to be taken home . When I was about to take my first bite of the food, a friend of mine reminded me not to eat too much because a hundred grams of this tempting food which beer drinkers also love to use as chaser contains 87 mgs of Cholesterol.
2. Lechon Baboy (Roasted Pig) – This food is not just the best choice for important occasions such as weddings, christening and birthdays but it is also one of the best selling “chasers” for most wine drinkers. Despite of its expensive price, wine drinkers find it great to experience the luxurious crisp and flavor brought about by the special way of roasting the pig. But hey!!!! Just before you start dreaming about eating several servings of this food, think about the dangerous cholesterol content of each part. Once you start to enjoy eating and dipping its ribs into the sauce, you are already taking in at least 90 to 105 mgs of cholesterol into your body. However, if you try to pick the less fatty portion of the said dish such as center chops and loin, you get lesser cholesterol value than its ribs.
3. Isaw (Roasted chicken or pork Intestines) – Just so you may know, this well loved street food is one of the deadliest creation that has ever been cooked in the world of Filipino recipes (I needed to exaggerate things for emphasis). Seriously speaking, despite of its addictive taste especially when dipped with spicy vinegar sauce, this contains loads of saturated fat which is known as a primary source of cholesterol.
4. Chicharon Bulaklak (Deep Fried Pork Mesentery) – Got its name from its shape. This dish came from a deep fried fold of the peritoneum (membrane lining the cavity of the abdomen) which attaches the stomach, intestines and other internal organs. Of course, since the dish is deep fried it obviously means that the Dangerous C (for Cholesterol) is once again attached to this food. So you better be careful when you eat this.
5. Sisig – Is a famous “kapang pangan” dish that is made from ground internal pork organs that are marinated in lemon juice or vinegar and served in sizzling style. This dish no matter how tasty it looks is an inviting carrier of cholesterol too.
Just like any other things or stuff, if there is a culprit, there is always something to counter attack negative things. As a true blooded Filipino, myself can’t say no whenever foods mention above are being offered at the table. But I always do eat them in moderation or better yet, I partner it with a tall glass full of pineapple juice to help fight those bad cholesterol.
Note: Images at this post are not mine. They are property of their respective owners. In case you own one of the above photos, please contact me with your details so I can give you proper credit. Thanks!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter
What's more scary is that these dishes are served almost always with some buckets of beer, so, basically, I call it double murder. However, we can still eat these kinds of foods, and even drink alcohol for as long as we don't make it a habit. Once a month, or lesser, would be alright.
I love to eat lechon baboy and pork sisig. But It is not pulutan for me but a viand. Hehehehe. 🙂
The hard to resist one is sisig. I don't drink alcohol…but it's hard to resist as viand.
i love lechon … and it drives me crazy .. but i know my limitation … just a few pinch and i am satisfied…
geez! all my favourite! though, it been a very long time since I've eaten lechon chicharon and toehr too. I occasionally eat pork sisig hehe or make it healthy fish fillet sisig! xx
Everything in moderation- that is to key to health and well-being. This does not only apply to food.
whatever.. i still miss sisig at Dencio's and lechon still tastes good! lol!…
but come to think of it.. balance is the key! 🙂
All true. While they are very tasty, these foods can cause serious heart problems.
Oh no! I'm a candidate for High in Bad Cholesterol because I LOVE EVERYTHING on your list. =(
I love sisig and isaw as pulutan…hehehe
-daddy allan (visit from BCB)
Oh, sadly I love them all. I love chicken and lechon skin pa naman.
Oh very interesting! We only have the first 2, but I'd be interested to at least sample the other 3 on the list. Just a LITTLE bit! Haha!
All the food I love. And these are not pulutan to me, these are yummy ulam.
Hello there cholesterol, hehehe! Good thing I don't drink and my husband too. My parents has history of asthma and high blood runs in our family, kaya ingat na ingat ako. Hihihi!
Visiting from CE Sept4.
LECHON!!!! my fave… having those food in moderation must be ok. But in excess, is deadly….
Ah the 5 deadliest food…Isaw, I have never tasted…ever.. and no plans of doing so. The other 4, I have not eaten any of those for the longest time already.
lahat ito masarap and also packed with cholesterol i've eaten all these stuff but with moderation…sarap eh can't resist haha!
I love letchon my Uncle is in a lechon business.. I like the skin and the tummy part of lechon..:)
These foods area really dreadful 😀 Pambata ang mga pagkain ito, pambata kasi hindi na tumatanda ang mga kumakain nito ng madalas, deds agad 😀 hehehe….
Good thing I don't really indulge on those when it is available at home. I have tasted all. Sisig and lechon are my two favorites I will eat in moderation 🙂
OMG i love sisig! super with all my heart hahaha 😀
Naku, I don't really drink but I love all those food you mentioned. Tsk. I must choose wisely on what I eat from now on…
You might wanna join my birthday/blog anniversary giveaway: http://beforeiturn25.blogspot.com/2012/09/drinks-are-on-me.html
I've heard about the roasted pig and how it is a must at major celebrations.Those are really fatty foods..
indeed sinful. haha.
All these five are truly sinful, and very yummy! I haven't been to an inuman session with crispy fried chicken skin as pulutan, but I have seen them being sold by vendors. Mura lang, so para sa walang pera, pwede nang ulam.
oh my goodness, all of these are my favorites!
i lurve!!! lechon! yes i am aware of the cholesterol..that makes me real sad.
I soooo love eating all of those in the list. Thankfully, I have no problems with hypertension though I'm already in my mid-30s. I don't drink though so I eat those with my fave soda or juice. 😀
What can I say, I'm guilty of loving all that you mentioned, huhuhu! Yes, I agree moderation is the key especially as we age.
i love those chicken skins.. hehe
Yep, bad bad bad for the health all of them but soooo delicious! I prefer chicharon bituka over chicaron bulaklak though.
All the things that I do love to eat because they are delicious are high with cholesterol. 😀 Tsss, too bad.
You're right, everything in moderation (though I can't say the same for Isaw hul!). OMG I love to eat all 5..but I don't drink so I guess I'm at least an octave healthier than most people! I really don't understand the 'benefit' or 'joy' of drinking. It tastes bad, you feel worse after and you tend to do stupid things.
Oh my…oh my…lechon come to me… it's been almost 3 years na di ako nakatikim ng lechon… ang sarap naman nito naglalaway na tuloy ako … Sarap na pulutan talaga ito… crispy balat akin.
malapit na fiesta sa Iligan.. the best ang lechon! 🙂
My favorite on the list is sisig…brings back university memories!
my uncle used to sell chicken skin its soooooo delicious! hehe
i think we should just eat small amount of each, the hard drink will hopefully burn them anyway 😛
Hmmm….parang mahirap ata i resist yung lechon. Yummy yun eh. Pwede naman siguro as long as u eat in moderation. 🙂
Sigh! Why is it the yummy stuff that are the ones that are bad for you? I guess a little bit every now and then isn't going to hurt.
yep they're scary because they filled with cholesterol but they are so delicious too. sisig is my fave, but of course I eat it in moderation 😉
This is true. Considering you mix it with liquor, its just plain deadly. Liquors have effects on our liver because it over works our liver. Our live detoxifies these chemicals.
And all these are really tempting and nice to eat. The irony of things, what satisfy your tummy is the one that's fattening.
ohh Lechon!!! you are so sinful! I have been trying to avoid meat.. but still haven't faced a leachon again.. I hope I can say no to it when the time comes..
I only ate these kind of foods during my cheat day and everytime I ate them I feel so guilty about myself. 🙂 Lechon baboy FTW and SISIG for pulutan 😀
Missing all this kind of recipes, I have to avoid it for now. Hahahaha. Malapit na ang pasko. Hahahahaha.
haha! talk about being in tune with Halloween — scariest food! They're not scary for me… they're good and they keep calling me whenever I see them and I can't resist them HAHAHA!
Oh no!! I love all that you listed above!! Huhuhu. But thanks for reminding us. Haha! I won't stop loving these foods but I will eat them in moderation from now on. *crossing my fingers*
Hahaha! As they always say "Masarap kainin ang BAWAL"! I myself really loves to eat Isaw! I love sisig so much, its delicious! I ate them sometimes. XD
🙁 now I miss all of these! especially the sisig. We really used to have it as pulutan.
Just eat in moderation na lang. I make my own chicken skin chicharon and dip in vinegar pangontra daw sa cholestrol but that is only a muyth. All the food that you mentioned are worth eating kahit pa deadly.
Maybe moderation can allow us to enjoy these food once in a while.
the epic lechon is delicious as ever and the sisig as well but, health wise… it's a question mark especially to those who are addicted with these dishes like me. LOL!!
Let's add batchoy on the list! Super yumm… super deadly, too when eaten too much too often.
oh no… the food that i missed the most… ouch. still i want to taste a delicious lechon someday…
This are really deadly, ha ha! We often see it though. I wonder if we can eradicate this sinfully good tasting foods.
All of the may be sinful but we cannot deny how irresistible they are. As we all know, MODERATION is the key!
Fatal, to say the least. LOL. I love "sisig" though. Pero konti-konti lang. :))