Embutido is a traditional Filipino style of meatloaf. This Filipino food is wrapped in an aluminum foil and steamed. Embutido needed lots of preparation and ingredients. But, the good thing is, once it’s prepared, you can put it up on your freezer for future consumption.
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup (6 slices) finely chopped (sweet or cooked) ham
- 3 tbsp. minced green bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. minced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- dash of liquid seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- slices (wedges) of hard-cooked eggs
- slices (wedges) of Vienna sausage
- aluminum foil, 10″ x 12″ sizes to serve as wrapper
Embutido Cooking Procedure:
- Prepare a steamer and set aside. Alternatively, prepare a baking pan and a wire rack and preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Divide the mixture into 2 to 4 portions (depending on how many you want to make).
- Spread and flatten the mixture onto the center of each foil, divide the slices of hard cook eggs and sausages.
- Place each slices at the center of each mixture. Hold the foil onto your hand and roll until the ends of the mixture covers the eggs and sausages. Alternatively, by holding each ends of the foil, roll the mixture back and forth until it covers the slices of eggs and sausages in the center.
- Finally, roll the aluminum foil into a tightly packed log about 1″ to 2″ in diameter, sealing on both ends. Repeat with the remaining pork mixture.
- Place the embutido in a steamer and steam for an hour. Alternatively, place embutido in a wire rack on a baking pan, half filled with hot water.
- Cover with aluminum foil (Be sure the steam will not escape). Steam-bake in the center of the oven for an hour.
- Remove from the oven. Let it cool and slice into rings. Serve with your favorite catsup or sauces.
Enjoy your Pinoy style meat loaf of simply, Embutido.
Note/Recipe Disclaimer: Image may vary with the end result of this recipe.