Halayang ube is a dessert made from boiled mashed ube (purple yam) mixed with coconut milk, evaporated milk, and sugar. In the olden days, a fine consistency was achieved by passing the mixture through a piece of sinamay. With its bright color, it is a favorite at fiestas. Also, it is typically served during Christmas season.
2 – 3 hours
Halayang Ube Recipe Ingredients:
* 1 kilo ube yam root
* 1 can (14 ounces) evaporated milk
* 2 cans (12 ounces) condensed milk
* 1/2 cup butter or margarine
* 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (optional)
How To Make Ube Halaya:
1). On a pot, boil the unpeeled ube yam in water and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and let cool.
2). Peel and finely grate the ube yam.
3). Heat a big wok in medium heat.
4). Melt butter or margarine, add the condensed milk and vanilla flavoring. Mix well.
5). Add the 1 kilo grated ube yam,
6). Lower down the heat
7). Mix the ingredients for about 30 minutes (continuous mixing) or until sticky and a bit dry (but still moist).
8). Add the evaporated milk and continue to mix for another 15 minutes.
9). Let cool and place on a large platter.
10). Refrigerate it. Halayang Ube is best served after refrigeration.
Halayang Ube Cooking Tips:
* You may spread additional butter or margarine on top of the jam before serving.
* For the sweet toothed, sprinkle a little sugar on top of the jam after placing on the large platter.
* Instead of manually grating the ube, you may cut it in cubes and use a blender to powderize the ube.
Enjoy your halayang ube!
Note: Image may vary with the end result of this recipe.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter