Lengua Con Setas (Ox Tongue With Mushroom in English) is one of the most favorite stew recipes in the Iloilo region. All over the Philippines, there are some people who turn this delicious dish down because of the main ingredient used in cooking it — the cow’s tongue. However, people should understand the fact that the tongue is the tastiest part of the cow.
If you wish to have a taste of this Ilonggo recipe, then you must be prepared. Creating this dish will require lots of time and great patience. No, I am not saying that cooking Lengua is complicated. However, newbies will be challenged when it comes to making the meat tender. In addition to that, you also have to remove the skin. This is a challenging recipe but it’s all (cooking and preparation) worth it.
Lengua Con Setas Cooking Ingredients:
* 2 cups of chopped crimini mushroom
* 1 1/2 lbs. of Ox tongue, cleaned well
* 2 tsps of minced garlic
* 1 large piece of yellow onion, finely chopped
* 2 tbsps of oyster sauce
* 4 tbsps of Worcestershire Sauce
* 3/4 cup water
* 2 tbsps of light soy sauce
* 1 tsp of granulated white sugar
* 1/2 tbsp of dried parsley flakes
* 3 tbsps of cooking oil
* 1 tbsp of cornstarch plus 2 tbsps of cold water
* salt and pepper to taste
How To Cook Lengua Con Setas:
1. Place the Ox tongue in one quart of water. Boil for 90 minutes. Test if the meat is already tender For faster tenderization process, you can try using a pressure cooker.
2. Once tender, set aside the tongue and allow it to cool down a little.
3. Once cold, you can already scrape out the skin.
4. Slice the tongue in serving sizes. How big or small it is will be up to you.
5. Put pan over medium heat. Pour oil then allow it to heat.
6. Add onion and garlic then saute.
7. Once the onion is already soft, you can add in the Ox tongue. Cook this for about three minutes.
8. In the pan, pour in soy sauce, oyster sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sugar. Stir the mixture and allow it to simmer for a minute.
9. Place the mushroom in the pan and pour some water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer until the volume of the liquid has been reduced.
10. Taste the mixture and adjust it according to your preference. Add salt and pepper according to your preference.
11. Mix cornstarch and water. Add the cornstarch mixture into the pan and stir. Continue cooking and wait until the mixture thickens.
12. Transfer dish to a serving plate. Garnish with parsley.
Serve with rice and enjoy!
Republished by Blog Post Promoter