Siopao is a steamed bun with variety of fillings. It could be either Siopao Asado or Siopao bola-bola. Siopao fillings can also be some sort of pork, chicken, beef, shrimp, eggs, and possibly chopped scallions and water chestnuts as well.
Here is the basic Siopao Recipe that you can prepare at your home.
* 4 tbs sugar
* 1/2 cup warm milk
* 1/3 cup warm water
* 2 tsp active dry yeast
* about 2 1/2 cups flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
Siopao Chicken Filling:
* 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
* 2 tbs vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup minced green onions
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 1/2 cup water
* 4 tsp hoisin sauce
* 4 tsp oyster sauce
* 1 tbs sugar
* 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
* 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
How To Make Siopao:
1. Dissolve 2 tbs sugar in milk and water. Sprinkle the yeast and let stand in warm place until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
2. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 cups flour and salt. Add more flour as needed until dough is no longer sticky.
3. Place dough on a lightly floured work space and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 – 8 minutes). Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
4. Prepare filling. Heat oil in wok or pan. Add green onions and garlic, frying for 1 minute. Stir in water, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Add cornstarch solution, boil, stirring until thick. Add chicken. Cool.
5. Prepare dough. Punch down dough then roll into a cylinder. Cut into 12 equal pieces, rolling each piece into a ball. Cover.
6. Flatten each ball and roll into a circle about 4 – 6 inches in diameter. Place 1 heaping tbs of filling in the center. Gather edges of circle over the filling; twist and pinch edges together to seal.
7. Place buns seam side down 2 inches apart in a baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until puffy and light. Brush tops with egg yolk.
8. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake buns until golden brown.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter