Ukoy or Okoy (Filipino Shrimp Fritter) is one of a kind Filipino delicacy. Ukoy do have many variations and the ingredients of it varies at each and every Philippine region. The only ingredient that is constant at this kind of this dish is the shrimp. Ukoy is a popular food for merienda or as an afternoon snack.
Below is a basic and easy to follow Ukoy recipe using mung bean sprout (togue) and shrimps..
* 3 cups mung bean sprouts, washed
* 1 cup shrimps, shelled
* 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
* 1/2 cup carrots, julienne d
* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* 2/3 cup cornstarch
* 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 2 medium sized eggs
* 1 cup shrimp juice (pounded shrimp shell in water and strained)
* 2 tablespoons achuete seeds steeped in 1/4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground pepper
* cooking oil for pan frying
1). In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together except the cooking oil.
2). Heat up cooking oil in a pan.
3). Scoop the batter using 1/2 measuring cup and put it onto the hot pan. Flatten the batter with a spatula.
4). In a medium heat,. pan fry both sides until golden brown.
Note: Depending on the size of your pan, you could cook from 2 to 3 at a time.
Ukoy or Okoy is best served with vinegar and soy sauce with lots of chili and garlic as the dipping sauce.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter