With the fiesta coming, if you want to serve your most prized sponge cake, then Crema de Fruta would be the best choice. Crema de Fruta is a sponge cake layered with creamy custard filing and gelatin then topped with fruit cocktail and clear gelatin. You don’t have to worry about pleasing your family’s members, friends, relatives, and guests, since Crema de Fruta is perfect for everyone. The cake is not only sweet and tasty, it has an aroma and flavor that would surely melt in your mouth. No fiesta is complete without a serving of Crema de Fruta. This is a special desert that everybody will love! If you want to enjoy some after the fiesta, make sure to make an extra serving because there will be no leftovers!
- 250 g ladyfingers
- 16 ounces canned fruit cocktail, drained and set aside juice for the gelatin mixtureFor the Custard Filling:
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup waterFor the Gelatin Topping:
- 3 ounces unflavored gelatin (2 packets)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruit cocktail syrup
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine and stir constarntly sugar, flour, yolks, milk 1/2 cup water in a saucepan (waterbath when heated so it doesn’t get burnt) until it thickens and becomes creamy (about 10-15mins). Make sure there are no lumps.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- For the Gelatin Topping: Mix last 5 ingredients in a saucepan, heating and mixing for 5-10mins until dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
- To assemble: Arrange ladyfingers side by side in a single layer on top of a medium sized pyrex dish.
- Spread 1/2 of the custard filling on top of first layer making sure to even it out.
- Arrange 1/2 canned fruits on top of custard.
- Repeat layering: ladyfingers, then custard, then fruits.
- Pour gelatin mixture on top of the final layer ; completely covering the fruits if possible.
- Chill in the fridge until the gelatin is set.